Monday, November 4, 2013

Welcome!

        Welcome to the official Double Deuce Tattoo Blog, where you can get all the latest on tattoos, piercings, and local artists! We are proud to be the first welcomed tattoo shop in Cary NC serving Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Apex, and the surrounding areas. We have some of the finest artists from the east coast 7 days a week making beautiful custom art that lasts a lifetime. Weather you are looking to get your first tattoo or adding to your collection, we are here to help make your tattoo dream a reality.



Scott
Owner/Tattoo Artist
 From New York to South Carolina, only to spend most of my life growing up right here in Raleigh, NC.  I love it here.  My influence in art began when I was very young.  I would do anything from drawing on walls with crayons to making friendly new faces with my food. This slowly turned into an interest I would later develop and critique in art classes throughout high school. Trying hard not to listen to my 9th grade algebra teacher, who once said to me "Drawing in my class won't get you anywhere in life." I always wanted a career in art. I just never thought that dream would come true. However, I followed suit and paid attention in class. 

     Unleashed into the real world I did everything from working at Hardee's to hard labor jobs. I thought I had found my semi corporate dream job doing county research.  After having lived that life for five years, my career was stolen by the Internet. The information I was once sent to retrieve was now being uploaded over the Internet. virtually eliminating my position. Angry at the same technology that gave me my job in the first place, I was seeking work that couldn't be taken by some sort of technological mechanism or computer advancement. Still doodling in my spare time, my algebra teacher's words would pop in my head. That's when I realized after applying  everything she had said, I would still end up jobless. Still drawing, a friend of mine told me about someone he knew who was about to start working in a tattoo shop. He also mentioned that the shop might need an apprentice.

     Ten years later I have the best career I could ask for. Not to mention, I haven't used algebra once. The thought of that still makes me smile. Constantly my own worst critic, I strive for a level of perfection that I fear I'll never achieve. None the less, I won't ever give up. I live vicariously through my artwork. As I live to satisfy my canvas, my canvas lives on. Though I'll never get to witness all paths my canvas may choose, a part of me is with them on their journey 
forever. I could never take that feeling for granted. Winning trophies, being featured in magazines, winning best in show... yeah, it is cool... But, it's an even better feeling knowing your tattoo is in various family photos around the world.


Paul:
Tattoo Artist
 It was 1985 when New Jersey-born artist, Paul Lieberman, walked into Tony The Pirate Cambria's tattoo studio for his first tattoo. He knew then that he had a passion for tattoos.  At that point, Paul had been drawing and painting for as long as he could remember.

    Paul's passion for art and music led him to the New Jersey underground art/punk rock/hardcore scene where he was involved in and played in several hardcore bands.  A few years later, some close friends, like Dave Shoemaker, Q-ball, and Don Juan, were either already tattooing or had already started their own apprenticeships. 

     Flash forward to 1994, Tradewinds Tattoos first opened their doors in Toms River, New Jersey.  Shop owner Shoe, along with Q-ball and Dave Shoemaker, unofficially started Paul's apprenticeship.  Paul spent two years scrubbing tubes, making needles, cleaning bathrooms, and performing general shop duties while extensively studying the art and techniques of tattooing.  In 1996, the bird was kicked from the nest and sent to work at a traditional street shop in Point Pleasant, New Jersey under the study of tattoo legend Ernie Carafa at Tattoo City.  Along with the help of Paul Davis and Dozer, Paul continued to learn and grow doing walk-in-style traditional American tattooing.  One year later and it was back to Tradewinds to work with Q-ball, Tommy Foglia, and Kevin LeBlanc. Paul continued to work at Tradewinds until the shop closed its doors in 2008.  Between the years of 1999 and
2008, Paul also worked with Shoe at his Tattooville Linden,
New Jersey location with one of several benefits being able to work next to tattoo giant and pioneer Jack Rudy, who called the shop his East Coast headquarters.  In 2008, Paul packed up his truck and made the move to Raleigh, North Carolina where he has happily called
home since. 

     Over the years, Paul has continued to learn, experience, and grow as an artist and has prided himself on the quality of his work.  Because Paul is his own worst critic, he strives to put 100% of himself into his work, whether it's the smallest rose or an elaborate back-piece.
    Paul continues to paint and draw on a daily basis and loves to custom design tattoos for his clientele.  Paul prefers working in a traditional style of tattooing, but is not limited to or held back by the standard rules. Everything Paul does is strongly rooted with old-school techniques and modern sensibilities.

Greg:
Tattoo Artist
I have been tattooing for over 21 years, but I'm not old school. I'm traditional with my own twist on it. I like to work with other forms of art as well. Other forms such as painting & drawing. I am also working on a clothing line, made up of artwork from different tattoo artists across the U.S. to include my own artwork. The clothing line will be available hopefully very soon!


Derick:
Tattoo Artist
I started tattooing in 2008 with little to no help from anyone. Throughout my childhood I remember drawing a lot. It Wasn't until the end of high school that I started taking art seriously. I've had many other jobs besides tattooing, all the while I spent most of my free time and nights drawing instead of partying with my friends. After working in a few shops around NC, I came to Cary and found Double Deuce Tattoo. I have some of my paintings hanging for viewing and even purchase. I never plan to stop learning and improving my skills no matter what they are. I now enjoy oil and digital painting more than any other mediums (except for skin of course). Tattooing is a whole other monster that gives me new challenges to overcome all the time. At the moment I'm into realism and bold new-school tattoos. One day I would love to take my art to a higher level and be in the game industry.



Ray:
Piercer 
NC native Raymond King (aka Sharkface) spent 10 years on the receiving end of piercing and body modification, having been pierced and branded by Bradde Hammon in 2002, before the opportunity for a piercing apprenticeship was presented to him by long time friend Scott "Scotty Nails" Russell years later. He knew right away that piercing and body modification were more than just a living, but a passion and art form that he was destined for. Since after his apprenticeship, Raymond has taken steps to further his education in piercing and body modification and plans to apply to be a member of the APP, as well as pursuing instruction on branding and scarification. Ray also is our resident counter person, and genuinely enjoys helping people with questions about tattoos and even helping with layout and design on occasion. "I love being part of such an amazing industry, I'm surrounded by beautiful artwork, and amazing people all day!" Also being fond of music and playing in several local bands, he is a walking billboard for the shop, having been tattooed by everyone with a few large projects still in the works...when asked what his favorite piercing to do is, he says "I like doing any piercing that someone wants...I enjoy the process and the rush of piercing, much in the same way my clients do, but I guess my favorite is honestly a nostril piercing...it looks cool on men and women and is just as classic a piercing as you can get. I'm also really good at them. Haha"
Come down and check him out for your piercing needs, and he will probably be the first smiling face you see when you come in.


Tooch:
Counter Guy

That's it..... pretty self explanatory.....









Check out our website for portfolios: www.doubledeucetattoo.com


Well now that that's out of the way, we can get on to more fun stuff. Keep checking back for new updates and specials. We hope to see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment